Studies on aerobic training have shown the following facts:
1. There is a difference between cardiovascular training (endurance) and fat burning.
2. Work in both areas is recommended.
3. Approximately 75 - 85% of maximum heart rate (MHR) is for endurance training.
4. Approximately 55 - 65% of MHR is required for burning stored fat.
5. 30 - 60 minutes is required for maximum benefit.
6. 1 - 3 days/week is required for maintenance.
7. 4 - 6 days/week are required for maximum results.
8. The key to aerobic activity is to find an activity that you find comfortable with to perform.
Calculating the heart rate can be done by subtracting your age from 220. Multiply the resulting number by the desired percentage will give you your target heart rate.
A forty year old man wishing to burn fat wants to target 65% of maximum heart rate.
220 - 40 = 180
180 x 0.65 = 117 (round to 120)
180 = MHR (maximum heart rate)
120 = THR (target heart rate)
He should perform a minimum of 30 minutes at 120 beats/minute.
Start your journey to health and wellness today: (732) 407-7756